Vegan Coconut Cauliflower Bites make a delicious plant based appetizer or healthy snack. The coconut breading on these golden beauties is crispy and subtly sweet, making it perfect to pair with my Chili Pineapple Sauce!
This easy recipe is my vegan take on coconut shrimp. Cauliflower is an awesomely versatile vegetable with a mild flavor and tender texture when roasted. Cauliflower’s flavor and texture make it best friends with with a crispy breading and flavorful sauce! For this coconut cauliflower bites recipe, I use a sweet and spicy Chili Pineapple Sauce and I think you’ll love it!
Since the main ingredient in this plant based recipe is cauliflower, it is low in calories and guilt-free, so it can help you lose weight! Whether you’re craving a crispy and salty mid-day snack, or looking for a game day appetizer, you will not regret cooking up these Vegan Coconut Cauliflower Bites!
How to Make Cauliflower Bites
Coconut is just one of many flavors that complements the cauliflower well. No matter which flavor you choose, the breading and roasting process is similar. Here is how to make crispy roasted cauliflower bites:
- Chop the cauliflower into florets, aka little trees.
- Prepare 3 bowls for the breading:
- Bowl 1: chickpea flour and some seasonings. In this recipe I use paprika, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Bowl 2: non-dairy milk, tapioca or corn starch, and flaxmeal.
- Bowl 3: breadcrumbs (gluten free if desired), and other flavorings. This recipe obviously uses coconut. But other options include lemon pepper, nutritional yeast, garlic, or a spice blend like Cajun or Caribbean Jerk. You could even thrown in some shredded vegan cheese here…
- Dip each cauliflower floret into the bowls in order (1,2,3). Then place on a lined baking sheet.
- Lightly drizzle with a little oil for extra crispy breading. Then bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly tender. Et voila!
My love for the Cauliflower is not a secret. Each time I create a cauliflower recipe I eat at least one whole cauliflower…and I can’t feel bad about that! Check out some of my other cauliflower recipes:
Want to learn how to make more delicious vegan recipes? My cookbook, Rooted, is full of healthy, mouthwatering vegan recipes that anyone can cook and everyone will love to eat!
Give this vegan recipe a try, brag about it to your friends (or share it if you’re nice like that), and tag me in your social media post! I would love to see it =]
Vegan Coconut Cauliflower Bites
Crispy Coconut Cauliflower Bites make the perfect vegan snack, or even part of a healthy meal. This veggie version of coconut shrimp is super satisfying and addicting!
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time20 min
- Total Time30 min
- Yield2 servings
- 1 large cauliflower
Breading Bowl 1
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Breading Bowl 2
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used oatmilk)
- 1 TBSP tapioca starch (can sub corn starch)
- 1 TBSP flaxmeal
Breading Bowl 3
- 1/2 cup unsweetened fine shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
Chili Pineapple Sauce
- 2 TBSP crushed pineapple (canned or freshly minced)
- 2 TBSP pineapple juice, from the can of crushed pineapple
- 2 TBSP sweet chili sauce
- 1 TBSP plain vegan yogurt
- 2 tsp Sriracha, or other hot sauce
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Prepare the Cauliflower Bites
Cut the cauliflower head into 2-inch florets.
Prepare the 3 bowls for breading according to the ingredients list. Dip each floret into Bowl 1, then Bowl 2, and finally Bowl 3. Place on a lined baking sheet.
Lightly drizzle or spray the breaded cauliflower bites with oil and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly tender.
Make the Chili Pineapple Sauce
Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl. Mix well.
Once the Coconut Cauliflower Bites are ready, serve hot with the Chili Pineapple Sauce!