Oh baby this is an awesome vegan breakfast sandwich! This Vegan Sausage and Egg Muffin is made with a gluten-free breakfast sausage and a tofu “egg” patty. Get creative and add any toppings you like, I prefer avocado and hot sauce on my breakfast sandwiches!
Sign up for a free recipe eBook!
Interested in quick & easy vegan meal ideas? (Who isn’t?!) Enter your email for a FREE vegan recipe eBook with 10 vegan dinners that are ready in 30 minutes or less!
The Vegan Sausage in this recipe is easy to make and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes.
How to make vegan sausage:
- Make a sausage flavored broth. For this breakfast sausage, I use seasonings like fennel, maple syrup, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Rehydrate the textured vegetable protein in the broth.
- In a food processor, combine the rehydrated soy protein, mashed beans, flax, and oat flour.
- Form patties and either bake or cook on the stove-top.
- Make epic breakfast sandwich!
I hope you love this vegan recipe. Here are a few reasons I think it is so amazing:
- Meal-prep friendly – prep the sausages and egg patties for a quick and easy breakfast all week!
- Freezable in an air-tight container
- Loaded with flavor!
- High in plant-based protein
- Easy to make!
Follow Rooty Fruity Vegan on social media and YouTube for more vegan recipes!
Vegan Sausage & Egg Muffin
Vegan Sausage and Egg Muffin is a delicious breakfast sandwich that everyone will love! This vegan sausage is high in protein and gluten-free. The vegan sausage and egg are easy to make and ready in 30 minutes!
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time20 min
- Total Time30 min
For the Sausage
- 1 cup water
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 TBSP low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste (I used 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper)
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP, see above for info)
- 1 cup mashed chickpeas (or any bean or lentil)
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup flaxmeal
For the Tofu "Egg"
- 1 block (14oz) Super Extra Firm Tofu (usually the one that comes in a vacuum-sealed package)
- 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp water
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
- Pepper to taste
For the Sandwich
- English Muffins, toasted
- Vegan Cheese
- Hot sauce (like Sriracha)
Prepare the Sausage
In a medium-sized bowl, make a broth by combining all the sausage ingredients, except the TVP, chickpeas, oat flour, and flax meal.
Add the TVP to the broth and let sit for 5 minutes, until it absorbs the water. You can start the Tofu “Egg” while you wait.
Once the TVP rehydrates, transfer to a food processor, being careful not to add excess broth. Add the mashed chickpeas, oat flour, and flax meal. Pulse until well combined, but with some texture remaining.
Form the mixture into patties and heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat with a bit of oil. Once the pan is hot, cook the sausage patties 2-4 minutes on each side, until golden. If you prefer to bake the sausages, cook them on a lined baking sheet for 20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Prepare the Tofu "Egg"
Slice the tofu into 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick pieces that will fit on your English muffins. Heat a pan to medium heat with the tofu slices.
Mix the remaining Tofu “Egg” ingredients in a bowl. Spoon half the mixture onto the tofu and spread it around to coat. Cook for 3-5 minutes, flip, spread on the remaining seasoning, then cook another 3-5 minutes.
Assemble your Breakfast Sandwich
Toast the English muffins and prepare your toppings.
Layer on the vegan sausage, tofu egg, and desired toppings. Enjoy immediately!
Thank you for trying out this Vegan Sausage and Egg Muffin recipe! I hope you like it! For more vegan recipes, check out my cookbooks and follow me on social media @rootyfruityvegan