Vegan Chickpea Shawarma Pizza is the perfect combination of a crispy, melty pizza and a savory flavorful shawarma! Even though this pizza is cheese-less, the warm Middle Eastern spices and bold creamy tahini drizzle make this my new favorite pizza obsession! And I am sure you will love it too =]
How do you make vegan Shawarma?
Making vegan shawarma is super simple. All you need to do is…
- Mix up some spices (or buy a pre-made shawarma spice blend)
- Season your veggie of choice – in this recipe I use chickpeas, but cauliflower, sweet potato, and mushrooms make great vegan shawarma too.
What are Shawarma spices?
Shawarma spice is a blend of warm Middle Eastern flavors that can vary, depending on region/personal preference. This vegan shawarma seasoning includes cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, cinnamon, oregano, garlic, black pepper, and the perfect hit of cayenne.
The flavor-bomb of spices is met with even more flavor with the tahini drizzle. This tahini drizzle is special because it is infused with garlic, lemon, parsley, and cilantro. This vegan sauce gives the pizza a creaminess and depth of flavor so that cheese is not needed. This is a cheese-less pizza and, trust me, you won’t miss the cheese!
Free Vegan Recipe eBook when you subscribe!
Interested in quick & easy vegan meal ideas? (Who isn’t?!) Enter your email for a FREE vegan recipe eBook with 10 vegan dinners that are ready in 30 minutes or less!
How to choose a vegan pizza crust
- When choosing a vegan pizza crust for this recipe, try to find one that is relatively thin. There is something so satisfying about a slight crunch that pairs with the bold flavors of this pizza. Plus, a thin crust is less filling so you can eat more pizza toppings!
- Read the ingredients to make sure there is no egg or milk in the crust.
- If you wish, try to find a crust made without oil. There is a brand called Plant-Strong by Engine 2 that offers many oil-free low sodium foods, including pizza crusts. I have found it at Whole Foods Market.
- I really like the Monteli Pizza Crust at Trader Joe’s because it has a great flavor, texture, is organic and made without crap like corn syrup.
The best thing about pizza, is that you can put whatever you want on it! While there are typical shawarma toppings on this pizza recipe, feel free to add anything you like! (Even pineapple, I won’t judge)
Vegan Shawarma Pizza Topping Ideas:
- Red onion
- Black olives (or any fancier olive)
- Tomato/sun-dried tomato
- Parsley and/or cillantro
- Zucchini slices
- Bell pepper
- Broccoli (yes, I am one of those people who like broccoli on pizza!)
No matter how you slice it (pun intended), this vegan pizza recipe will have you addicted! Since creating this shawarma pizza recipe a week ago, I’ve made it three times!
What makes this vegan shawarma pizza so awesome?
- Freezable and meal-prep friendly
- Can be made oil-free if choosing/making an oil-free crust
- Can be made gluten-free with a gluten-free crust
- Super flavorful
- Relatively healthy (no vegan cheese needed)
- This vegan pizza is even good cold! Who else is a cold pizza fan?
Follow Rooty Fruity Vegan on social media for more vegan meal inspiration!
I hope you enjoy this Vegan Shawarma Pizza recipe at least half as much as I do! It is seriously bomb! If you try it, snap a pic and tag me in your post, I would love to see your awesome pizza creation!
Vegan Chickpea Shawarma Pizza
This plant-based shawarma pizza is full of flavor, loaded with toppings, and easy to make. Plus, it is meal-prep friendly and freezable! Ready in 45 minutes, making it an easy vegan weeknight meal that everyone will enjoy.
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time40 min
- Total Time45 min
- Yield2 12-inch pizzas
For the Chickpea Shawarma
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the Tahini Drizzle
- 1/3 cup original hummus
- 3 TBSP tahini
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 tsp minced fresh cilantro
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- Water if necessary to thin
For the Pizza
- 2 x 12-inch pizza crusts
- 1 cup marinara or pizza sauce
- Red onion
- Black olives
- Fresh parsley and cilantro
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Make the Chickpea Shawarma
In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas with the spices, mix until well coated.
Pour onto a lined baking sheet, spread out the chickpeas evenly, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until slightly dried and crisp.
Prepare the Tahini Drizzle
Mix all the Tahini Drizzle ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Add water to thin, if necessary. The texture should be pour-able, but not watery. If you like it thick, skip the water.
Make the Pizza
Once the chickpea shawarma is cooked, remove from the oven and set aside. Preheat the oven according to your crust directions.
Spoon 1/2 cup of pizza sauce/marinara and a tablespoon of the Tahini Drizzle onto each pizza crust. Spread around, mixing the marinara with the tahini and covering the crust.
Layer on the chickpeas, red onion, olives, tomato, cilantro and parsley. Drizzle the rest of the tahini sauce on top. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or according to your crust’s directions.
Let cool for a few minutes before slicing. Garnish with extra cilantro, if desired and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy the recipe for this Vegan Shawarma Pizza! If you like a spicy kick, sprinkle on some red pepper flakes or a drizzle of Sriracha =]