Making these vegan chicken nuggets was so simple! I don’t know why the heck I’ve been wasting my money on the less healthy store bought vegan nuggets! Only a few simple ingredients, three bowls, and you’ve got yourself some epic vegan tofu nuggets.
Here are some more reasons why I love these Vegan Nuggets:
- Freezable! – put the cooked nuggets in a air-tight container in the freezer and bake to reheat.
- Minimally processed – no gluten or soy protein isolate here, just tofu!
- Gluten free – Thank you GF rice crumbs =]
- Ready to eat in 40 minutes
How to Make Vegan Chicken Nuggets:
- You will need 3 separate bowls; one for flour, one for non-dairy milk, and one for the breadcrumb mixture.
- Cut the tofu into nugget shapes (or strips, for simplicity)
- Dip each nugget into the flour, then milk, then breadcrumbs to coat.
- Fry with a bit of oil a few minutes on each side to brown.
- Then bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until crispy.
- Dip in your fave sauce and enjoy your efforts to the fullest!
Frying the nuggets in the beginning makes the coating extra crispy, once baked. These can be oil-free nuggets by skipping the frying step and just baking them.
When baking the nuggets, make sure to use baking paper or a silicone baking sheet so the nuggets don’t stick to the pan. I always use a silicone mat, like this one, and it works perfect every time!
Even though these gluten free vegan chicken nuggets are tasty on their own, they are even better with the perfect sauce. Here is a quick recipe for my favorite vegan dipping sauce for these tofu nuggets:
- 2 TBSP vegan mayo
- 2 tsp ketchup
- 1 tsp Sriracha or Buffalo sauce
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
This dipping sauce is perfectly balanced with sweet & spicy flavors and a creamy texture. Enjoy =]
Free Vegan Recipe eBook
Interested in quick & easy vegan meal ideas? (Who isn’t?!) Enter your email for a FREE vegan recipe eBook with 10 vegan dinners that are ready in 30 minutes or less!
Follow Rooty Fruity Vegan on social media for more vegan meal inspiration
I hope you enjoy this simple vegan tofu nugget recipe as much as I do! I am seriously super excited about it because nuggets are one of my weaknesses when it comes to vegan junk food, so I am happy to have figured out how to make a much healthier version!
If you try this recipe, snap a pic and tag me in your post, I would love to see it =]
Vegan Chicken Nuggets – Gluten-free Recipe
These vegan chicken nuggets are made with tofu and are simple to make. They can be frozen and reheated for a quick snack later. This vegan recipe is kid-friendly and a healthier alternative to store-bought vegan nuggets.
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time30 min
- Total Time40 min
- Yield12-15 nuggets
- 12 oz block of extra firm tofu
- 1-2 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour (or any gluten free flour)
- 1/4 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (I use almond milk)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs (I use Trader Joe's Rice Crumbs)
- 2 TBSP tapioca flour (or corn starch)
- 1 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Dab excess moisture off of the tofu. Cut the tofu into nuggets or strips, about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick.
Dip each nugget into bowl #1 (the four), then bowl #2 (the milk), then bowl #3 (the breadcrumbs). Make sure each nugget is evenly coated in breadcrumbs.
Heat a non-stick pan with the oil to medium/high heat. Once hot, add the nuggets. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until slightly golden.
Place the nuggets on a lined baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes, flip and cook another 5 minutes.
Thank you for trying out this vegan chicken nugget recipe! Check out my eBooks for more tasty vegan recipes and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Enjoy!